Creating a digital clock game timer display in Storyline 2
Posted on Apr 20, 2015
Creating an elearning game in Storyline 2 requires a lot of attention to detail to create the perfect result. Like most things in life, breaking it down into smaller chunks can make it less demanding.
Last time, I looked at how to create a timer mechanism using two sound clips. But what if you want to display the number of seconds as a digital clock?
Using Storyline 2’s built in maths-based actions, you can transform any number into a time by following a handful of steps.
My earlier blog on Game Timer Basics in Storyline 2 outlined how to set up a timer in Storyline 2 and this post explains how to convert this single variable into a digital timer display. However, you can apply the same steps to other examples as long as you have a number to start with.
Converting the time process
- Make a count of the number of times you can subtract 60 from the total time number before it becomes less than 60. This gives us how many whole minutes we have.
- Make a note of the amount of seconds left over after doing the calculation. This gives us how many seconds we have.
- If the number of minutes or seconds is below 10 then put a zero before the number. For example, 7 becomes 07.
- Finally, combine them to display on screen with a colon to separate minutes and seconds. This simply displays the time as though it was a digital clock.
Let’s start with the number of seconds at 605 and run through an example:
- Count how many times you can subtract 60 from 605 until the number is less than 60 = 10
- Make a note of how many seconds are left over = 5
- Add a number before either result if its below 10 = 05
- Combine the results = 10:05
It is definitely possible to apply this to Storyline 2 - I’ve done it! If you have any problems or need further hints, please leave a comment below.
Click here for my first blog on Game Timer Basics in Storyline 2
Author: Stephen Hodge, Elearning Developer, Sponge
Join 1000s of learning professionals who receive the latest inspired learning news from Sponge
At Sponge, we're ready to respond to new challenges regarding remote onboardingRead more
Sponge's curated list of seven unmissable highlights of LTSF2020Read more
Rapid delivery of bespoke content
Our off-the-shelf content is fully customisable but, if you're looking for a more bespoke learning solution, we’re offering rapid turnaround. We’ll work in partnership with you to create a 20 minute custom built elearning module in a 2 week timeframe. Contact us to discuss your learning needs and our pricing structure.Contact