Julie Dirksen - I want to see more communication with our learners
Posted on Mar 22, 2016
Our guest for episode 3 is highly respected instructional designer and author Julie Dirksen.
You'll be hearing her views on helping learners to form good habits, how to avoid some common design mistakes and what we can all learn from video game designers.
The second edition of Julie Dirksen's book Design for how people learn is regarded as one of the best starting points for anyone new to instructional design.
Here are the questions asked during the interview with their times for quick reference:
- 00.39 What's changed since you wrote the first edition of the book?
- 05.29 What's the most common mistake that people make when they're designing learning experiences?
- 08.57 What are the neuroscience basics that learning professionals need to know?
- 13.07 What are the skills or knowledge that games can teach us really well?
- 19.24 Is there an example of video in elearning that has definitely got it right?
- 22.50 What are the challenges facing women working in the learning technologies industry?
- 29.00 What are you most excited about when you think of the future of elearning?
Links to the authors and theories discussed in the interview:
- Daniel Willingham
- Will Thalheimer
- Gloria Gery's Proficiency model which features in her book Electronic performance support systems.
- Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi - Flow state
- Trina Rimmer
- xAPI standards
- Jane Bozarth, and her book Show your work
- Kirkpatrick model
- Brinkerhoff success case model
Ways to listen to the Sponge elearning podcast
The full interview is available to listen to using the player above, you can stream the audio directly to your computer or mobile device.
Download the mp3 file using this direct link: SpongeUKPodcastEpisode003-JulieDirksen.mp3 (33:40, 11.5MB)
Subscribe to the Sponge elearning podcast to get the latest episodes automatically.
Join us in two weeks for the next episode of the Sponge elearning podcast.
Join 1000s of learning professionals who receive the latest inspired learning news from Sponge
Find out how ebooks can be useful to a modern learner and how Bookboon have tailored their content to make them most useful for large organisations.Read more
Rapid delivery of bespoke content
Our off-the-shelf content is fully customisable but, if you're looking for a more bespoke learning solution, we’re offering rapid turnaround. We’ll work in partnership with you to create a 20 minute custom built elearning module in a 2 week timeframe. Contact us to discuss your learning needs and our pricing structure.Contact