What’s the biggest myth about gamification in elearning?
Posted on Sep 20, 2016
Games & gamification
Karl Kapp is a gamification analyst, elearning consultant and professor at Bloomsberg university.
We collected some common assumptions about games and gamification and asked Karl whether the myths stood up to the research in the field.
This interview was originally recorded as part of the Big Sponge Hangout in July 2016.
The possible myths and questions that Karl talks through and their times are provided so you can skip back and forth to learn more on a specific subject:
- 00:39 - Myth: Gamification and learning games are the same thing.
- 01:48 - What can happen if people get gamification and learning games confused?
- 02:35 - Myth: Games are just about adding fun to learning.
- 04:43 - Myth: We're a serious company so games or gamification isn't going to suit us.
- 07:25 - Myth: There's no hard evidence that games or gamification work for instruction.
- 09:16 - Myth: Games are just too expensive.
- 11:15 - Myth: Games suit younger people better.
- 14:17 - Myth: It's harder to evaluate the impact of a game.
- 17:24 - Myth: You have to be a game designer to do games or gamification properly.
- 19:26 - Myth: Games and gamification in elearning are a fad.
Ways to listen to the Sponge elearning podcast
The full interview is available to listen to using the player above, you can stream the audio directly to your computer or mobile device.
Download the mp3 file using this direct link: SpongeUKPodcastEpisode016-KarlKapp.mp3 (22:08, 12.6MB)
Subscribe to the Sponge elearning podcast to get the latest episodes automatically.
Join us in two weeks for the next episode of the Sponge elearning podcast.
Join 1000s of learning professionals who receive the latest inspired learning news from Sponge
Find out how ebooks can be useful to a modern learner and how Bookboon have tailored their content to make them most useful for large organisations.Read more
Rapid delivery of bespoke content
Our off-the-shelf content is fully customisable but, if you're looking for a more bespoke learning solution, we’re offering rapid turnaround. We’ll work in partnership with you to create a 20 minute custom built elearning module in a 2 week timeframe. Contact us to discuss your learning needs and our pricing structure.Contact